About Windows Backup (BKF) File
The concept to backup Windows data has brought into act in 1997 by Microsoft when it integrated NTBackup built-n backup application with its Windows NT Windows version. Since then all its subsequent versions including Windows 2000, Windows XP and Windows Server 2003 has this functionality. They use proprietary backup format (BKF) for the purpose of backup files. If the data stored in user’s computer becomes corrupt, erased or overwritten, then this BKF file can be used to restore its information on the user’s system. The backed up files can easily be stored in ZIP drives, floppy disks and even in hard drives. This application comes along with the feature of Task Scheduler to schedule the automated backup using several command line switches.
But in Windows Vista and its later versions, NTBackup was replaced with Windows Backup and Restore application that uses advanced Virtual Hard Disk (VHD) file format to backup modern media contents and other stuffs including full system backup.
Reasons behind the corruption of Windows backup (.bkf) file
There are several reasons that cause the file to corrupt or damage. Some of the most common issues are listed below –
- Virus attacks causing the file to corrupt severely.
- Interruptions while backup process is on progress.
- Abrupt or unexpected system shutdowns.
- Serious errors like CRC (cyclic redundancy check) error and others.
- Issues or errors due to Unrecognized Media.
- And several others.
Errors that you may encounter related to BKF file
- "These is no information contained in the BKF file"
- "Backup file contains unrecognized data and cannot be used"
- "The backed up data is corrupt or incomplete"
- "An inconsistency was encountered on the requested backup file"
- "The backup file is unusable. You must erase it, or choose another file"
- And various others.
How to repair corrupt BKF file & restore its data?
When the issues like corruption was not so frequent or you can say when the data corrupting agents were not so active, people hardly backup their data time to time. But with progressive growth of time people understood the importance of data and now every next individual follow the practice to backup their crucial stuff. But backed up data’s are still not safe as BKF file corruption is one such issue that most of you have must have face. No doubt about that a backup always assures data security, but what to do when backup file itself gets corrupt. There can be any reason behind it and some of them are discussed above as well. But now the question is how to repair the corrupt BKF file? Well Microsoft does not provide any inbuilt utility to repair corrupt or damaged backup file, so the only appropriate option you can work out is use third party BKF Repair Tool. It is very powerful software which will repair your corrupt file effectively and will recover volumes, dataset files, folder structures etc. in a safe and secure location for later use. So, if your backup file is corrupt or due to any reason you are not able to access its data then just download this Repair software and resolve your issue just in few clicks.
Features of BKF Repair Software
- Effectively repairs corrupt backup file created with Windows NTBackup & Backup Exec by Veritas and recovers its data.
- Searches for the BKF file in the system if its location is not known in the PC.
- Scans the corrupt backup file and allows you to save the scan information as a (.DAT) file in the system making the backup process convenient.
- Once the damaged BKF file is selected, repair process automatically starts and displays the scanned list items in a tree view format to choose you the file to be recovered.
- Supports Windows 2000, XP, 2003 backup utilities.
Steps to Repair Corrupt BKF File
Complete instructions on how to use and work with BKF repair tool is explained below. So, just go through it once before doing it practically.
Step 1: Select a single file by clicking ‘Select File’ option or a folder containing all word files click ‘Select Folder’ or to find the file click on the ‘Find File’ option.
Step 2: A list of selected file is displayed, Select the BKF file by using checkbox that you want to repair or to select all files mark the ‘Select All’ checkbox. Click on the ‘Scan’ button.
Step 3: You can see the preview of the scanned file by clicking on the file in both ‘Full document; and ‘Filtered text’ formats by clicking the tab given on the middle pane of the window.
Step 4: Once you have selected the files to recover, select the destination folder where you want to safe those files.
Step 5: To repair click on the click on the ‘Start Repair’ option. Select the option for saving your file from ‘Save Document’ dialog box and click ‘Ok’ button.